Harold E. Jones is a Peterborough native who was a prominent boxer, and also one who helped develop numerous others of note in the sport. He began boxing at age 15 for the Riverview Boxing Club which staged bouts at Miller Bowl.
He joined the navy in 1942 and became Canadian Navy Welterweight Champ in 1943. Following World War II, he boxed with Peterborough Athletic Club and was a main-eventer in most Ontario cities. When he retired in 1947, he had chalked up 100 wins against only 11 losses and one draw.
Hal, as he was known, started the Alpha Boxing Club in the early 1950s, an effort which was to produce three Ontario Champions: Bill Cridland, light heavyweight; George Heard, welterweight; and Paul Daniel, feather – and lightweight.
Jones’ expertise was recognized elsewhere as he was elected to the Provincial Sports Advisory Council, to the Canadian Pro Boxing Hall of Fame, and he was a member of the World Boxing Historians’ Association.