Miller was born here in 1904 but played his first lacrosse at Millbrook. Except for a span in the RCAF during World War II, he played field and box lacrosse over a 30-year period, finishing in 1947 when he played on the same Sr. B team as his son, Doug, Jr.
Doug is the main person responsible for construction of a lacrosse bowl, not once but twice. The first, build in 1937, was torn down during the war so box lacrosse had to be played elsewhere – Brock Street Arena, Lindsay and Omemee. Miller sought out some lacrosse-playing buddies and they borrowed $5,000 from the bank. Public appeals brought in $1,500 but the group had to go back to the bank for another $5,000.
Doug Miller took time from his job and with help of players who donated time and effort, the box was built in six weeks. It proved very successful; all loans were repaid by 1950 and the city’s lacrosse success story speaks for itself. In recognition of his efforts, the senior executive voted to call it Miller Bowl.