Local George Street clothier Harry LeBrun, was the pioneer lacrosse builder who organized and managed Peterborough field lacrosse teams for two decades from 1870s to the late 1880′s. During this era, lacrosse was the most popular sport in Ontario and Peterborough was consistently one of the top teams. The Guildersleeve Cup was the major lacrosse trophy in central Ontario. At least seven teams from Kingston, Napanee, Belleville and Peterborough competed for the challenge cup established in 1878 by Charles F. Gildersleeve, Mayor of Kingston. The Peterborough Lacrosse Club wrestled the coveted Cup from the Kingston Athletics with “vigorous yet gentlemanly play” on August 18, 1881 and successfully defended the cup in 1882 and 1883. Sporting events were popular and throngs of spectators trudged across the Hunter Street bridge to the cricket grounds in Ashburnham to take in the game, the music and the festivities that was part of the 10 cent price of admission. Harry served as President of the National Amateur Lacrosse Association in 1886. He was on the committee to propose a site for the new Peterborough hockey arena. The Brock Street Arena opened in 1903.