Advanced Search: INDUCTEES

Close Search

Henry Calcutt

Henry Calcutt was involved in virtually every Peterborough sporting activity in the last half of the 19th century. He was a prominent local cricketeer in the 1860′s who believed in “the intrinsic value of sports in character building”. He was president of the Peterborough Turf Club in 1863 and Peterborough Baseball Club in 1885; first president of both the Peterborough Lacrosse Club in 1867 and “Tuque Bleu” Snowshoe Club in 1874; and an executive member of the local cycling and football clubs as well. In 1870 Calcutt, a successful Ashburnham brewer, converted property from his flax mill to an indoor curling and skating rink in what is now James Stephenson Park. Fifteen years later he would go on to build the first local baseball park in its present “Riverside Park” location.  Ever the entrepreneur, he offered home delivery of kegs of ale; built a resort “Idyll Wild” at the mouth of the Otonabee and Rice Lake; and a fleet of river steamers to ferry holiday throngs to his resort. He would organize regattas and tournaments of various sporting events and provide silver trophies, fine dining and of course a drink of ale.

Similar Inductees

WALTER SCUDDY PHELAN WEB PORTRAIT

Walter (Scuddy) Phelan

Walter Phelan was one of the original seven players on Peterborough’s first official hockey team in 1891. From then until 1898 he was a slick centre in both hockey and lacrosse specializing in face-offs and playmaking. Phelan was considered by the then team president, Dr. Kenner, as “ a truly unselfish player and Peterborough’s most […]

More Info
Donald W. Bye

Donald W. Bye

Don, a Peterborough businessman, has consistently supported local teams financially, and actively at the administrative level for more than 30 years. Don’s sponsorship of teams began in 1960, starting with the Junior “B” hockey team which he continued to sponsor for ten years. His first association with lacrosse was in 1967 with the Don Bye […]

More Info
A. L. (Arnie) Dugan

A. L. (Arnie) Dugan

A Peterborough native, Arnie Dugan began his senior lacrosse career in 1949 with Peterborough Trailermen and subsequently played on three Mann Cup Championship Clubs. They included Peterborough Timbermen in 1951, Nanaimo Timbermen in 1956, and Victoria Shamrocks in 1957. Dugan was twice named to the First All-Star team. As a youngster, Arnie was an all-round […]

More Info