George W. Hatton was born in Peterborough on Aug 3, 1856. He received his primary education in the old Grammar School, the Collegiate Institute, Upper Canada College and Osgoode Hall. He read law with Sir John A. MacDonald and was called to the Bar in 1880. He began his law practice as a member of the firm of Hatton, Hatton & Beck.
In the athletic affairs of the city Mr. Hatton was for a long time a patron after he had ceased to be active on the cricket field and in other games. He was president of the Peterborough Curling Club, of which he was a member for many winters. He was an officer at one time or another of the rugby club, lacrosse club and hockey club. When the Canadian Wheelmen’s Association held their three-day meeting and races here in 1899, Mr. Hatton was the secretary, and prior to that he was a member of the American Canoe Association and was Commodore of the Northern Branch of this association when in 1883 their camp was held for two weeks at Stoney Lake.
In the mid 1890s, George Hatton was named honorary president of the Peterborough Baseball Club. In 1897 he starred on the local cricket club. In 1894, as a hockey patron, he hosted a Winnipeg hockey team which defeated the local team in an outdoor exhibition game (8-6) that reportedly drew 1200 fans. G.W. was instrumental in the building of the Brock Street Arena in 1903 – Peterborough’s first indoor hockey rink. George Hatton deserves to be remembered as one of the men who in his prime helped to make Peterborough known as a sports centre. He not only gave his time and deep personal interest to the success of many teams, but he also gave generously of his money. He died October 12, 1929. An excerpt from the Peterborough Examiner at the time of his death states “In his death an ardent true “fan” of our day has passed on.” He is buried in Little Lake Cemetery, Peterborough, Ontario.